Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New blog, first post.

I'm starting this blog to document the progress of my new garden over the course of this summer. I've already been keeping a pen and paper journal, but have been encouraged to post about it online.

For as long as my family has lived here, we've kept a garden on the side of the lawn, near some ornamental trees. Now it's been 23 years since that garden was started. The trees next to it have grown quite tall, and are now completely shading the old garden. In addition, the soil was not tended to as well as it should have been, and is exhausted. For the past several years it has been a constant battle with weeds just to coax a few vegetables out of it.

This is the first summer I'll be spending at home in the last 5 or so years. I've always been somewhat perturbed that we have a great big lawn, but the best, sunniest part of it contains nothing but grass. So this year I've convinced my parents to allow me to rototill a brand new garden in the middle of the lawn and grass over the old garden. Throughout the winter, I've been maintaining a large compost pile, I've drawn up plans for the new garden layout, I've decided what to grow, I've ordered and received seeds and plants, I've set up a schedule for starting seeds and transplanting, and at this point, I already have two flats of seedlings growing indoors.

Now for some pictures!


This was my backyard just a few weeks ago. No hope of spring in sight. Yet as soon as March 1st struck, the snow melted and it was suddenly warm.


Took this picture today. These flowers seemed to appear out of nowhere a week ago.


Here is my set up for starting seeds.


My yummy compost pile. It contains the following ingredients: dead leaves collected last fall, seaweed from the beach of Connecticut and Maine, horse manure from a local riding stable, and lots of kitchen scraps.


Parsley seedlings. They are looking pretty leggy, but I'm not sure what I can do about that, since they're already under very bright lights. They've just begun to form their first true leaves.


My aloe plant. It seems to have doubled in size since I got it in January.

No comments: