Monday, September 13, 2010

Fall already?

Temperatures have gotten cooler, it might be almost time to cut down all the basil and harvest the rest of those tomatoes! It's too bad, the garden is looking its best right as it's nearly over.
















Looking much better since I tidied up! I've planted peas around those big teepee things. They have not sprouted yet. I also planted some lettuce, kale, and brussel sprouts in that bed, but I'm not expecting too much from them at this point.























Everything's all filled out and looking beautiful!
















This bed is doing great, since I've been sprinkling it with deer repellent regularly.
























And speaking of carrots... I pulled these up to use in a roast recently. Unfortunately you don't get a good size reference, but the middle carrot was huge! They were all very tasty too. :)
















All cleaned up and ready to be baked.
















First new bed finished since what, June? It was just too hot all summer to do much digging. I've added compost and lime to this bed, and will soon be planting it with a cover crop.
















Two compost piles. The right one is finished, and the left one is being added to slowly. When the leaves start to drop, I'll add plenty of chopped leaves (since I only have a rake and a tiny mower, that's going to be a lot of work). At that time I'll also make a trip to the stable to get horse manure, a trip to the beach to get seaweed, and a trip to Starbucks for used coffee grounds. I'm going to need a lot of compost next summer.

No comments: