Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Corn, beans, and deer.

I went to Maine over the weekend. While I was there, I got two large containers full of fresh, slimy, smelly seaweed off the beach. I mixed that in with the new compost pile today. When I was living in Maine last summer, I kept a small garden which had some German Chamomile in it. I was happy to see that it had re-seeded itself this year. I was sad that it would go to waste, because someone has to harvest it every week in order to collect enough flower heads to make tea. So my Mom had the idea, why not dig it up and take it back to Connecticut with us? And that's what I did. I left a few plants in Maine though, just in case. Now I have to find room to put the eight or so plants that I brought back with me.

Today I finally caved in and bought a six pack of basil plants. My basil seedlings are still so tiny, and they got leggy over the weekend because I had to bring them inside. I'm considering planting some basil seeds outside, just to see how they do. Maybe next year I'll really be able to start them from seed successfully indoors.

Apparently the deer noticed that no one was home over the weekend, and one of them decided to use my garden as a buffet table. No wholesale destruction, just a nibble here and there, and hoof prints in the beds. It did the most damage to my swiss chard, which I admit needed to be cut and used anyway. Most of them should grow back, hopefully. It missed the chard that was hidden underneath the broccoli plants. It also lopped off a few marigold flowers, and a few stems from my chamomile.

On a better note, all of the beans and squash planted in the old garden have sprouted and are growing rapidly. The corn I planted last week also sprouted! :)

No comments: